March 7, 2008

Art: "Ray"


"Ray Charles" Oil on Canvas. 16x22.2006.
Ray was an interesting character. In this study I abstracted his face with texture. I use a lot of layers and linseed oil in all of my paintings to create depth and texture. "Ray" has about 4 layers underneath him. I like what these layers represent. A story that lies beneath the surface. Just as in any life of anyone you meet. I did not use a brush in the final layer. I used a palette knife and let the linseed oil create a freedom of line and space. When I use linseed in large amounts it bleeds and runs into other colors. It has taken me a while to control this technique.... I appreciate how distorted the lines become.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that is amazing. I wish i could do something like that! Thanks for the advice and i finished my self portraite i was not aload to do anime wich i dont mind now because the self portraite turned out pretty good.

You have agreat talent and i am going to add you to my blogroll.

Digital Frenzy

Anonymous said...

This is great Erica. I posted a couple of your pieces on my blogsite. You should do more celebrities I imagine you could sell these very well especially to people who love music and collect art for their entertainment rooms or home in general. I have a friend that collects these, you should email me about your prices.