February 25, 2008

Dr. Seuss Mural


Here is an update of the Dr. Suess mural in progress. This is the focal wall, the first one you see as you walk into the room. It still needs details added like black outline and a couple more coats of red paint on the upper fish. I have been using house paint (latex based Behr paint) for this mural. In the future I will not do this again! Instead I will go back to using acrylic paint or a better quality latex based paint (such as Dunn Edwards, or Sherwin Williams). The Behr paint is wonderful for any color with white in the base. However, any Behr color that uses "Deep Accent Base" is not worth the money! The colors that use this base are transluscent and take more labor time to completely cover.... even with a good primer. So my advice is to stay away from any bright, vivid color from Behr. Spend the extra 5 or 10 dollars on a better paint!


Here is a close up of the fish in the left hand corner. As you can see it is not yet complete but almost there. I will touch up the edges with the blue paint and add some more fine detail with a paint pen.


This is the left wall... and the truffela trees are no longer just trunks! There is a character in there roaming around, not yet completed and for now just looks like a ghost wearing clothes. I am back to work tomorrow. Wish me luck!

No comments: